REGISTER FOR THIS MEETING HERE.
The Payment Accelerator equips community-based palliative care programs with the knowledge and skills to secure financial partnerships for supporting value-based payment and contracting. This deep-dive workshop kicks off 12 months of virtual access to resources and includes didactic presentations, group and team exercises, exclusive webinars, and case studies/perspectives from both payers and palliative care programs that have sought financial partnerships.
Participants will learn all the basics of financial partnerships, including assessing potential partners; understanding value-based payment contracts and payment models (including the upcoming Medicare alternative payment model (APM) and private payer case rates); advice on meeting contract obligations and using resources efficiently; and the “dos and don’ts” of negotiation and business relationships. This information will also be helpful for any organization interested in the upcoming Medicare APM identified by the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation (CMMI).”
Session Leads: Torrie Fields, MPH (Blue Shield of California); Tom Gualtieri-Reed, MBA (Spragens & Associates); Lynn Hill Spragens, MBA (Spragens & Associates); Kathleen Kerr, BA (Kerr Healthcare Analytics); Dana Lustbader, MD (ProHEALTH Care, an Optum Company); Allison Silvers, MBA (Center to Advance Palliative Care)
Experienced Programs: Steve Franey, MBA (ResolutionCare); Heather Grant, MD (ProHEALTH, an Optum Company); Katy Lanz, DNP, MSN, AGPCNP-BC, ACHPN (Aspire Health); Jill Mendlen, RN (Lightbridge Hospice and Palliative Care); Toni Messler, BA (Transitions LifeCare); Lori Yosick, LISW-S, CHPCA (Trinity Health)
Payers: MaryAnn Christopher, MSN, RN (Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield); Lori Taylor, CPHQ (Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina); Kristi Youngs, RN (CareOregon)
• Define and prioritize potential partners in light of the program’s own strengths
• List at least three elements of a payment contract that are important for managing a successful relationship
• Describe the interplay between program design and cost, and list at least three ways to improve operating efficiency to better align program expenses with revenue
• Describe at least three mistakes that should be avoided when negotiating for financial payment
• Clinical program leads
• Financial, contracting, or business development/marketing leads
• Teams of 2-3 strongly encouraged